Sometimes rest is just as important as work. These 5 unique breaks will help sharpen your focus, increase creativity, feel energised and reduce stress.(especially those of us Working From Home) Give them a shot and tell us your favourite!
1. Take a mindful minute
Stress is controlled by a hormone called cortisol, when raised it helps us handle pressure and get things done however, too much can have a detrimental effect on the body. Our cortisol levels can gradually creep up without us noticing throughout the workday and especially now in these tense times.
Use this simple breathing technique to break through the stress and increase productivity in the process.
- Before the day begins, set a timer for 1 minute.
- Start the timer, close your eyes and take deep mindful breaths.
- Count the number of deep breaths you take until the timer goes off.
- Anytime you feel stressed or worried or need a mental break, close your eyes and take the same number of deep mindful breaths that you took in the minute.
- You can now take a mindful minute any time of the day!
2. Dance Break!
Learn a TikTok dance. Yes, really. Even if you're terrible at it. Dancing or learning a dance sequence uses different parts of our brain and can help get those creative juices flowing, strengthen memory and get you out of your head and into your body. Great for when you're bored at work or have a particularly hard/annoying task to get done. Ok, ok, if dancing is really not your thing, maybe try some of the quick home workouts that a lot of people are posting, it will only take a few minutes and have a similar effect.
3. A fully present coffee break
Yup, you guessed it. Of course, coffee had to be a part of this list. We can't go a day without our favourite beverage and you shouldn't have to. Sipping on a hot drink is not only relaxing but is also amazing for your digestion. The next time you are sipping on your favourite hot drink, maybe take it to a window or outside and be fully present. This will also help increase concentration as you focus on this one simple pleasure WITHOUT checking your phone or getting distracted. This is YOU time.
Our Superfood coffee also contains adaptogenic herbs like Siberian Ginseng that helps to boost immunity and regulate cortisol levels for ultimate stress relief and an increase in mental clarity.
4. A Spinal Twist
Nothing better than a good stretch while sitting in a chair all day. Loosen out tight shoulder muscles and increase mobility in your spine with an easy spinal twist. It feels super satisfying while also detoxing the spine, stimulating the digestive system and keeping your back and shoulders flexible.
- Step 1: Put your right hand on the back of your chair
- Step 2: Put your left hand across your body on your right knee or the right-hand side of your desk.
- Step 3: Twist your spine and look over your right shoulder.
- Step 4: Hold for 2 deep breaths.
- Step 5: Repeat on the other side.
You might hear a crack, that's perfectly normal and low key feels amazing! If you are not too flexible or have injured your back in the past, you might want to go easy on this one and only twist as far as you feel a stretch in your back and arms.
5. Create healthy snacks
Bring on the Procasti-baking! Although it's not always time-wise to start baking in the middle of a work from home day making yourself a quick healthy snack can switch your brain from work into creation mode. Nourish your body by choosing smart carbs, healthy fats and proteins for energy and focus.
Here are some snack ideas that are super quick and easy:
- Apple slices or banana slices and peanut butter
- Veggie sticks and hommus
- Homemade trail mix ( throw together a mix of fruit, nuts and seeds)
- Rice cakes with smashed avo or nut butter and berries
- Superfood Choc Peanut butter Bliss Bites
We hope you enjoyed these tips and it helped make your work-from-home day a little bit easier.
Sending lots of love and good vibes from the Lean Blend Fam!
Written by: Ayesha
Lean Blend Owner and Wellness Coach